Power outages continue to vex community

Mar. 11, 2017  PLYMOUTH VOICE.

Plymouth Michigan News

 

 

Area residents suffering through the forth day of power outages after hurricane force winds ravaged southeast Michigan are now facing very cold nighttime temperatures, an increased risk to older adults and those who are sick.

According to an update from DTE Energy on Saturday at 12:45 p.m. there are still tens of thousands of residents reporting power loss in the western suburbs as dedicated crews from multiple states work around the clock to restore power.

Canton Township and Plymouth Township, as well as other communities, has announced warming centers for residents.

Canton Township

Residents may visit Summit on the Park at 46000 Summit Parkway. The warming center will be open during regular business hours: Monday-Friday, 5:30 a.m. – 10 p.m.; Saturday, 6 a.m. – 8 p.m.; and Sunday 6 a.m. – 7 p.m. Warming Center visitors are asked to sign-in at the front desk of the Summit.

Plymouth Township

First United Methodist Church45201 N. Territorial Road. This facility is open 24 hours and will provide warmth and basic beverages. St.  Kenneth Catholic Church14951 North Haggerty Road.  This facility is open 24 hours and will provide warmth and basic beverages. They can also accommodate small pets. NorthRidge Church12401 Ridge Road. This facility is open 24 hours. They discourage bringing pets; however they will be providing warmth, basic beverages, and Wi-Fi.

 

The American Red Cross offers the following safety recommedations for homeowners using portable generators.

  • Never use a generator, grill, camp stove or other gasoline, propane, natural gas or charcoal-burning devices inside a home, garage, basement, crawlspace or any partially enclosed area.
  • Keep these devices outdoors, away from doors, windows and vents that could allow carbon monoxide to come indoors.
  • Opening doors and windows or using fans will not prevent CO buildup in the home. Although CO can’t be seen or smelled, it can rapidly lead to full incapacitation and death. Even if you cannot smell exhaust fumes, you may still be exposed to CO. If you start to feel sick, dizzy, or weak while using a generator, get to fresh air RIGHT AWAY – DO NOT DELAY.
  • Install CO alarms in central locations on every level of your home and outside sleeping areas to provide early warning of accumulating carbon monoxide.
  • Test the batteries frequently and replace when needed.
  • If the carbon monoxide alarm sounds, move quickly to a fresh air location outdoors or by an open window or door.
  • Call for help from the fresh air location and remain there until emergency personnel arrive to assist you.

 

Plymouth Voice.

 

Associated Newspapers file photo

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

CantonPlymouthPlymouth Township
Previous post

Officials cautioned about state finance

Next post

Racial posts prompt clerk’s retirement