Plymouth Voice regularly covers news and events in the Charter Township of Canton, Michigan, located in Wayne County midway between Detroit and Ann Arbor.
Canton was created by act of the Michigan Territorial Legislature in 1834 out of a southern portion of Plymouth Township. Canton covers an area of 36-square miles with a population of 90,173 and is considered a full-township. The former Plymouth “Super-Township,” which included all of Canton, Plymouth, and Northville Township, was divided into Plymouth Township and Northville Township at the turn of the 19th century.
Canton is Michigan’s second largest township. It was developed as a farming community in the late 1800s and grew into the large municipality of prosperous businesses and commerce it is today. Three school districts and several charter schools serve Canton’s population.
Cherry Hill Village is an unincorporated community located within Canton Township. The historic district is primarily residential. Cherry Hill is the last of the five hamlets in Canton Township to retain substantial historic significance and endured as a commercial and social hub until the 1960s.