No injuries in garage fire

Feb. 6, 2019  PLYMOUTH VOICE.

Plymouth Michigan News


Don Howard

Staff Writer

Plymouth Township Fire Chief, Dan Phillips said a fire in the detached garage of a Brownell St. home was fully engaged and flames were shooting-out several feet from the front of the building when his first fire-engine company arrived last Thursday, around 4:30 p.m.

According to Phillips, the fire had a good start before it was noticed. He said there were no injuries and the fire has been ruled accidental after investigators determined fireplace embers ignited the blaze after the home-owner cleaned the fireplace. Firefighters from Plymouth-Northville, and Canton departments responded to the box alarm, providing mutual aid to the Township fire department. A total of 14 firefighters were on scene in minutes.

National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) statistics state garage fires can spread farther and go undetected longer. Those created by improper disposal of fireplace ash causes thousands of fires every year, often displacing countless families.

NFPA says in order to remove hot fireplace ash you must have the right tools. Using a fire- resistant metal ash shovel, scoop up the old ash, then place into a fire-resistant metal can with a tight fitting lid, dispose outside on a non-combustible surface like stone or brick, away from any structures for a week before putting them in the trash.



Plymouth Voice.

Photos by: Matt Zmuda


Fire DepartmentPlymouthTownship
Previous post

Zoning ordinance amendments to be discussed

Next post

Residents speak out over legislator's pet projects